Monday 30 August 2010

First weekend at Accrington Market Hall

It was a great first weekend in at Accrington market hall.
Friday and Saturday saw the first two scheduled Learn To Crochet workshops at the market stand, which will be my home for the next month or so.
I will be running lots more drop-in sessions over the next few weeks if you would like to take part in the project. (dates details are at the end of those post)

For the first stage of this project I am really eager to get as many people to learn to crochet as possible. Once i have taught the basics, I am asking people to make a little piece of creative crochet that will be included in a series of new sculptural pieces that will hang in the market hall and around the town centre.

Many thanks to everyone who stopped by and took part in the session, and to those who took the time to stop and chat to me about the project. I was really pleased to hear the many fond memories and stories from people remembering aunts, grandmothers and mothers crocheting clothes, blankets.... toilet roll covers!!!!!  and that they are looking forward to seeing the final stages of the project come together.

Here are a few snaps from the weekend:


Setting up the space on Friday morning.....

As you will notice, I have the perfect spot in the market hall..... right outside the wool shop!

Accrington Habiknit

View of the market hall from the stand at the end of a very busy day.

Hanging out some samples for passers by to see...


These sprials are really easy to make and I spent Saturday afternoon teaching the ladies in the next photo how to make them...

Melissa from the local knit and natter group stopped by to take part in the crochet session with her friend...

Melissa made this crochet piece of free formed crochet based around a traditional granny square pattern, to contribute to the project.... Thank you Melissa.

It's not often I voluntarily upload a picture of myself to the internet, however I could not miss out this one of me (on the right) teaching to lovely Pippa (aged 8) and her mum Deborah, who were the first passers by to stop and have a go at crochet. Deborah took away some yarn and a hook to carry on what she learnt and will be bringing back some crochet pieces for the project.

Pippa on the other hand made this wonderful flower, with a little it of help from yours truly....
Also.. Pippa old me that her favourite colour in the whole world is pink!

Thank you pippa!


And here are some of the pieces we have made so far for the Crocheting Accy project.


Over the next few weeks I will be running some more Learn To Crochet workshops at the Market Hall.
Then dates are: 

  • Friday 3rd September 10am - 1pm
  • Saturday 4th September 10am - 1pm
  • Thursday 9th  September 10am - 1pm
  • Friday 10th  September 10am - 1pm
  • Saturday 11th  September 10am - 1pm

I have also been kindly invited along to the first Knit & Natter group at the Civic Arts Centre in Oswaldtwistle on Wednesday 1st September and I will be there between 11am and 2.30pm.

I hope you can make it along to one of my drop in sessions to learn how to crochet.

There are also other ways to take part in the project....
Towards the end of September I will be starting to piece together several sculptures that will be made out of the crochet pieces made at the drop in workshop sessions.
I will soon be releasing the dates for these sessions so keep posted!


And one final thing.... some wacky crochet  to inspire you, and also my dream home, a house full of crochet!










No comments:

Post a Comment